- The Langley School District offers the ITA Youth TRAIN in Trades Landscape Horticulture program at Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s (KPU) Langley Campus. This program, in partnership with KPU, offers SD35 students the opportunity to participate in Industry Training Authority (ITA) recognized Level 1 Technical Training. Students earn high school course credits, as well as post-secondary credits, while training to gain the required skills and knowledge to become an apprentice upon program completion.
- Learn the skills and knowledge needed to complete the Level 1 technical training. Topics covered include botany, soils, plant identification, pest management and practical skills.
- Students learn to use trade equipment, conduct basic engine maintenance, calibrate fertilizer spreaders, make prune cuts, and work as part of a landscape horticulture maintenance
- Earn dual credit at the Grade 12 level
- Complete Level 1 Landscape Horticulture Apprenticeship Training
- ITA Registration as a trainee
- Kwantlen student transcript and registration
- Pay no tuition (for eligible high school students)
- Grade 11 and 12 students
- Have a good attitude and genuine interest in working outdoors as a Landscape Horticulturalist
- Ability to learn by “reading” and “hands-on”
- Physically able to do the work
- Has completed English 11 and Math 11
- Grade 10 completion recommended
- Runs February to June
- One semester program – Six weeks of Level 1 training plus 13 weeks of work experience
- See the Youth TRAIN in Trades Landscape Horticulture Info Sheet for more information about this program
- Still have questions or want to apply? Contact your school’s Career Advisor or use our Contact Form
- Career Trek video – Hear about the work a landscape horticulturalist does including pruning, seeding and dead heading. Hear about career avenues and the endless possibilities in the horticulture field.
- SD35 Landscape Horticulture Program Tour video – See the classroom and equipment and meet the program’s instructor