Students earn high school course credits, as well as post-secondary credits, while training to gain the required skills and knowledge to become a Level 1 apprentice upon program completion.
- The Langley School District offers the ITA Youth TRAIN in Trades Horticulture program at the Langley Campus of Kwantlen Polytechnic University. This program, in partnership with the KPU, offers Langley students the opportunity to participate in Level 1 certified ITA training.
- Learn the skills and knowledge needed to complete the Level 1 technical training. Topics covered include botany, soils, plant identification, pest management and practical skills.
- Students learn to use trade equipment, conduct basic engine maintenance, calibrate fertilizer spreaders, make prune cuts, and work as part of a horticulture maintenance
- Earn dual credit at the Grade 12 level
- Earn credit for Level 1 Horticulture Apprenticeship
- ITA Registration as a trainee
- Kwantlen student transcript and registration
- Pay no tuition (for eligible high school students and recent high school graduates)
- For Grade 11 and 12 students
- Good attitude and genuine interest in Horticulture
- An interest in working outdoors
- Ability to learn through both “reading” and “hands-on”
- Physically able to do the work
- English 10 and Math 10
- Grade 10 completion recommended
- Runs February to June
- 1 semester program – 6 weeks of Level 1 training plus 13 weeks of paid work experience
- KPU Langley Campus
- See the Youth TRAIN in Trades Horticulture Info Sheet for more information about this program
- Still have questions? Contact your school’s Career Advisor or use the contact form below
- Ready to apply? Contact your school’s Career Advisor for an application form