About the Program
- The Langley School District offers the SkilledTradesBC Youth TRAIN in Trades Hairstylist program at Aldergrove Community Secondary School. This full-time program provides SD35 students the opportunity to participate in Skilled Trades BC recognized Foundation Technical Training (includes Level 1). Students earn high school course credits, as well as post-secondary credits, while learning the required skills and knowledge to become an apprentice upon program completion.
Develop Professional Industry Skills
- Learn the art and business of hairstyling in a full-service training salon
- Use advanced salon techniques to provide a full range of hair services
- Create artistic designs using the latest technology and trends with industry-leading products
- Be registered to attend an SD35 school for 2023/2024 school year
- Be 18 or younger on June 30, 2023
- Intention to graduate
- Have completed before the start of the program:
- Grade 10
- English 11
- Personal service experience, salon, spa etc.
Keys to Success
- Regular attendance and a solid commitment to the program
- Demonstrate maturity and job readiness to work in the industry
- Sensitivity, respect, and a strong desire to work with clients on a personal level
- Good hand-eye coordination and depth perception
- Ability to stand for long periods
- High tolerance to hair care products and odours
- Check out the Youth TRAIN in Trades Hairstylist Program Guide for more information about this program
- Still have questions or want to apply? Contact your school’s Career Advisor or use our Contact Form
- Career Trek video – Learn what it takes to be a successful as a hairstylist in BC. Social skills and communication are key in creating new looks and meeting clients’ expectations.
- SD35 Hairstylist Program Tour video – See the classroom and equipment and meet the program’s instructor